International Citizen Service (ICS) is a youth volunteering programme for 18-25 year olds. You'll have chance to work together with young people from India and the UK on important national development projects.
ICS is a development programme funded by the UK Government. It brings together young people from the UK and developing countries to make a real difference as volunteers in some of the world’s poorest communities.
Young Indians with the energy and motivation to fight rural poverty are encouraged to apply to become ICS volunteers.
Who can volunteer?
We invite applications from Indian nationals aged 18-25 who are:
- Willing to commit three months living full-time in a village in Bihar, Jharkhand or Maharashtra
- Able to demonstrate a good standard of English and Hindi (speaking and comprehension)
- Committed and motivated to make a difference
What will I do as a volunteer?
You will work in a dynamic team of 20 volunteers, 10 each from India and the UK, participating in rural development in India.
You will be paired with a volunteer from the UK who will become your work partner.
You will be placed in a rural community, where you will be engaged in work placements around VSO India’s thematic areas of livelihoods and education.
You will live in a ‘host home’ in the local community and experience local customs and way of life.
“For me, ICS was an intense period of immense personal and professional development. It represented a crucial stepping-stone into the development sector. I am now more confident about myself.”
Sreejith E Karunakaran, ICS volunteer
- 100% funded programme backed by the UK Government with basic stipend provided
- ‘Community host home’ accommodation, food and transport costs covered
- Collaborate and learn as part of a dynamic team of international volunteers finding effective solutions to real-life problems in education and livelihoods
- Learn and build skills in community and rural development
- Opportunity to experience local life in a rural community
When will I volunteer?
There are three volunteering cycles each calendar year, each lasting three months. Upcoming cycles:
- September – December
- January – March
- May – July
In order to apply, please fill out the Google Form. You will be guided through the process of completing the application and uploading a CV.
If you have any questions about the process or about volunteering as an Indian national on ICS, please contact Bijaya Shrestha.